What a wonderful trip I had venturing down memory lane with friends in Minnesota and Wisconsin the last 2 weeks of June. This year I was able to revisit places where Jerry and I had gone and replay the memories. Yes, it was still very painful but not unbearable. It is good to be able to be in some of the same places doing some of our favorite things we had done as a couple.
Among the places visited were Winona, Wabasha, Kellogg, and Red Wing, Minnesota. My friend, Mara, went with me to see the National Eagle Center, the Anderson Hotel where Jerry and I stayed for one of my birthdays, the Carousel Shops, and just seeing the beauty of the Mississippi. I also went kayaking on the Mississippi with Paul and Mara. Then Mara and Deb went with me to hike up to Brady’s Bluff in Perrot State Park giving a beautiful view of the river from the top of the bluffs. The warming hut at the top had no bats sleeping through the day which was sad realizing the affect of the white-nose syndrome that has killed so many of them.
Here are some pictures of my adventures.
Psalm 46:1-3 – “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.” God has never let me down through the caregiving and now through being a widow. He provides what I need including the strength I need to continue my life. Being able to count on that from God means a lot to me. I never have to face tomorrow alone but know the strength I need will be there for me.
Today I am thankful for:
- My garden and the beauty God continues to send me.
- My family to get together with here for meals and other activities.
- The coffee shop we are working on remodeling to open on the Oklahoma University campus this fall.
- The international students who are in our lives here.
- All the wonderful friends I saw in Wisconsin and Minnesota.
- My hostess in Minnesota, Deb who I worked with at La Crescent.
- Getting to speak at Rotary on some things one of the Iranians shared with me about differences.
- Kayaking on the Mississippi–wow, how beautiful!
- The beauty of the bluffs in the La Crosse, WI area.
- The church there is growing with their new minister.
- God being dependable and my strength every day! Praise Him for that.
This song I found to be very meaningful to me, especially the second verse talking about when I am alone.